An Original Design by Kate Constantine.
“Raining On Eora Collection”
She is confused.
She has been given too many names, by too many people not of her kin. She is sister / brother to the Dharug. She is the northern beaches, she is breath-taking, beautiful and she is subversive. Upon sitting with Country north of Cammeraygal land and west to the Darkinjung I became curious with understanding how much Culture remains here.
The northern beaches whilst firmly established and bustling hubs of human and built environmental activity – they are still in many ways quite unblemished in parts. This curiosity led me to discover Dennis Foley a Gai-Mariagal man, author and historian. “What the Colonists never knew, and still don’t – and this is extremely important – is that we continue to practice our culture even though our numbers are fewer in each generation. Until about 1900, men were still scarified. In 1930-40 the last law with scarification practiced in ceremony, at Belrose and at Wheeler Heights…
In the 1960’s women continued to regularly make their pilgrimage to the sea and to fresh water for ceremony, and boys like me were still being trained.” (Foley & Read 2021, What The Colonists Never Knew).
This extract among others confirms my many suspicions that Cultural Practice did not ever cease, not here on the Guringai / Gai-mariagal part of Country and indeed not anywhere else either. It just went underground.
Luxe Walls’ wallpapers are designed to be DIY. Unlike traditional wallpaper, there is no need for messy glue, costly wallpaper installers or the need to steam for removal. The self-adhesive backing on all of Luxe Walls wallpaper allows for easy installation, with the ability to reposition your wallpaper to halt that horrible feeling when you aren’t happy with the wallpaper has been installed.
Before installing your wallpaper:
- Your wall should be smooth, properly primed, painted and cured wallboard/gyprock that has little or not surface variation.
- Check your wall for cracks, holes and peeling paint. Not repairing damage can lead to poor wallpaper adhesion and possible damage when removing your wallpaper.
- Remember to remove any picture hooks - these can be returned after the wallpaper is hung.
- Ensure your wall is clean of lint, dust and dirt.
Installing your wallpaper
- When installing your wallpaper, always start on the left-hand side of your wall with panel number 1. Line your wallpaper up with the edge of the wall and the ceiling, making sure the wallpaper is level along the top. Please note, walls and doorways are not always perfectly square. If you need to overhang your first panel, don’t worry you can always trim the excess later. It is really important to get the position of the first panel correct as it will form the base of your wallpaper.
- Peel 10cm of the backing paper from the back of your wallpaper, and stick it to the top of the wall. Once you are happy with the position, using your hand, gently smooth the wallpaper out with your hands. Smooth all bubbles and wrinkles out as you go. If the bubbles are too big, gently lift off your wallpaper and re-apply. Complete this process until you reach the bottom of your wall. Don’t worry about the excess - once your wall is completed you can cut this off using a sharp knife.
- Line Panel 2 up next to panel 1,again ensuring it is level at the top and that the images on adjoining panels line up. Follow the same simple adhesion process used with the first panel. Complete these processes until all panels have been hung. TIP: Ensure the panels line up at your line of site. People will look at the middle of your wall, not towards the ceiling or the skirting board.
- Once your wallpaper is hung, trim the excess wallpaper from the bottom and the right hand side of your wall (depending on the squareness of your walls there may or may not be excess here).
For further information, please visit our INSTALLATION GUIDE and view our INSTALLATION VIDEOS.
Luxe Walls offer two varieties of self-adhesive wallpaper to suit a range of applications. All two varieties look and feel like traditional wallpaper, however, they are made out of self-adhesive wall sticker fabric. Luxe Walls wallpapers’ are specially designed to easily peel and stick.
Luxe Canvas is a self-adhesive, removable, reusable and repositionable polyester fabric wallpaper, that will not rip or wrinkle and has a canvas like texture. It is the ideal Luxe product for renters and those who are into refreshing their rooms by changing wallpapers and wall murals to keep up with the ebbs and flows of trend in interior design.
Luxe Linen is a self-adhesive, repositionable textured wallpaper that will add a little bit of that luxury linen feel to any wall. Luxe Linen is repositionable only at time of installation and is not recommended to be reused so we recommend this product for homeowners or businesses that are after longevity in their wallpaper with that little bit of a luxury texture.
All Luxe Walls wallpapers and wall murals are tear and wrinkle resistant to ensure an easy installation. To find out more about our self-adhesive wallpaper installation process visit here.
The best way to check adhesion compatibility and texture is to order a sample pack. These packs include a sample of each of our wallpapers: Luxe Canvas and Luxe Linen.
Order a sample pack here
Luxe Walls custom prints your wallpaper once you have placed your order. Yours goods are dispatched in a cardboard mail tube to keep your customised wallpaper protected. The estimated delivery time is between 7-10 working days. We send all goods via Courier, and will send you your tracking number as soon as your Luxe Walls wallpaper has left our facilities.